Re: emacs/lisp/net dbus.el

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: emacs/lisp/net dbus.el
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:51:53 -0400

Michael Albinus wrote:

> Could you, please, check whether the D-Bus processes do run already
> before the build? I have embedded the dbus-init-bus calls into a check
> for $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS; this environment variable exists only
> when you have a running D-Bus session bus.
>
> In your case, no additional D-Bus processes shall be launched by
> compiling or loading dbus.el. If so, then it might be due to other
> reasons (maybe a bug which persists longer).

This still happens. It's definitely a new dbus process (not least
because when I logout from my ssh session, it hangs waiting for these
dbus processes to be killed).

This is a RHEL5 system. I have an X session running. This is started as:

ssh-agent execs dbus-launch
dbus-launch execs ~/.xsession
(this seems to create a dbus-daemon process as well)

If I just do

emacs -Q -l dbus

in my X session, no new dbus processes are started.

But if I do:

ssh my-local-host
emacs -Q -l dbus

then two new dbus processes are started:

dbus-launch --autolaunch STRING --binary-syntax --close-stderr
dbus-daemon -fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

These persist after Emacs exits, and I have to kill them before I can
logout of my ssh connection.