Re: next bugfix release?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: next bugfix release?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:56:45 +0000

Hi, Everybody!

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:06:29PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> > Are there any plans for the next release?

> The plan (and Stefan agrees) is to spend about the same amount of time
> as we did between 22.1 and 22.2.  This would put 23.2 around April next
> year.

> > IMO we need to make a bug fix release ASAP, this bug:

> > http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4146

> > warrants it.  Not being able to set the C style in a file (or
> > directory) local variable is a major annoyance for users.

OK.  This is for me to fix, so I'm acknowledging having seen it.

> This bug is pretty serious.  Happily, it only affects the trunk; the
> 23.1 release is unaffected.

Phew!  Thanks for that!

> The most likely culprit is the 2009-07-18 change to cc-mode.el, which
> we did not apply to the release branch.

Yes.  It's one of these @dfn{wallpaper paste} bugs, where when you press
an area of wallpaper firmly to the wall, the paste under it pops up
another bit of wallpaper somewhere else.  It's going to be a horrible bug
to fix.  Indeed, it may not be fixable, in the sense of doing the Right
Thing under every reasonable circumstance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).