Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:08:12 +0200

>> Not really.  Any window-manager has to deal with the possibility that a
>> window gets to small when its parent-window shrinks.  All we can do is
>> make such cases occur rarely, in practice.
>
> Well, one could just stop shrinking the window.

There's always a corner case where you can't (unless you use zero-size
windows).

What I wanted (and still want) to express is that the the cases where we
really _have to_ delete windows because there's no other choice are very
rare.  And in those cases we shouldn't care too much, IMHO.

> To wit: in single-window frames, the contents get scrolled left/right as
> needed to have the cursor on-frame.  In multiple-window frames, one
> could equally well scroll the whole window configuration.  Sure, C-x o
> might cause window borders to jump around...
>
> It might at least keep windows accessible in a somewhat
> predictable/intuitive manner.

This would be a solution, indeed.  For Emacs 25.1, though ;-)

martin