Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: grischka
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:35:11 +0200

martin rudalics wrote:
 >> In principle, Emacs windows should not be less than `window-min-height'
 >> lines tall.  But an application can temporarily bind that variable to a
 >> smaller value during resizing and leave around a window of less height.
 >> Such windows usually don't harm when maximizing the frame but won't get
 >> us back the previous state when switching back to normal.
 >
 > You can't blame packages that they go through any hack to defend
 > their layout against the unpredictable interventions from the
 > distributed fuzzy-machine, err... emacs window-management.

We must defend such packages against any attempts to simplify Emacs
window-management at their cost.

The distributed fuzzy-machine cannot be simplified because it defends
itself by, well, being distributed.

 > Me thinks there are much more thoughts spend on 'window-min-height'
 > now than there possibly were at the time when it was first introduced.

Not really.  Any window-manager has to deal with the possibility that a
window gets to small when its parent-window shrinks.  All we can do is
make such cases occur rarely, in practice.

Window-managers don't deal with shrinking parent windows.  They deal
with fixed desktop/root windows.

With individual applications it's called "layout-manager", which exist
in the various GUI toolkits.

layout-managers are invisible containers that allow you to place
components like widgets or windows of other layout-managers within,
and to set a policy how these components are arranged, such as "box",
"grid", "flow", ...

The concept of min-size exists too, though individually for each
component, and it actually means what it says, that is "keep this
thing at least that large".  Consequently a case of "too small" can
never happen.

--- grischka

martin