Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:22:06 +0200

> The distributed fuzzy-machine cannot be simplified because it defends
> itself by, well, being distributed.

The weak point of that machine is the size_window routine which IIUC is
called by most of these distributed components.

>>  > Me thinks there are much more thoughts spend on 'window-min-height'
>>  > now than there possibly were at the time when it was first introduced.
>>
>> Not really.  Any window-manager has to deal with the possibility that a
>> window gets to small when its parent-window shrinks.  All we can do is
>> make such cases occur rarely, in practice.
>
> Window-managers don't deal with shrinking parent windows.  They deal
> with fixed desktop/root windows.

I obviously meant "any Emacs window-manager" here.  I don't even know
whether desktop window-managers use concepts like parent-windows or the
split-window paradigm.

> With individual applications it's called "layout-manager", which exist
> in the various GUI toolkits.
>
> layout-managers are invisible containers that allow you to place
> components like widgets or windows of other layout-managers within,
> and to set a policy how these components are arranged, such as "box",
> "grid", "flow", ...
>
> The concept of min-size exists too, though individually for each
> component, and it actually means what it says, that is "keep this
> thing at least that large".  Consequently a case of "too small" can
> never happen.

So if a component doesn't fit it's iconified in some sense of that word?

martin