Re: Slow start-up on Git trees

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Slow start-up on Git trees
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:06:16 -0400

> I don't think it's worth it, so I have no interest in working on this,
> but don't let that stop you from doing it.

I think this part should definitely not be asynchronous: all it does is
try to figure out the state of a single file in terms of
"modified/unmodified/removed/added/...".  There is no reason why this
should take a long time.  So rather than make it asynchronous, I'd say
"make it faster".

> Would commit make sense to be asynchronous?  Hmm, maybe, but until
> someone sits down and does it we won't know.

Yes, it does make sense.  Actually most VCS operations should be
performed asynchronously.  So patches a very welcome in this part of VC
(PCL-CVS already does it all asynchronously, FWIW).

        Stefan