Re: is the bug tracker down?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: is the bug tracker down?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:49:50 +0900

Bastien writes:

 > I don't want to criticize Don's contribution at all, but I would think
 > of "make sure the BTS is working properly" as part of "provide a BTS".

He's probably watching logs, but they don't always show this kind of
problem.  If he's not submitting bugs and not watching emacs-devel,
how's he gonna know?  Responding promptly to problem reports is about
as far he should go in "making sure", IMHO.  That's pretty much what
everybody does (savannah and sourceforge, for example).

 > >          I just thought it would e simple to add a note somewhere
 > >  that if you notice something wrong with the BTS, send mail to don's
 > >  contact address.
 >
 > Yes, this we should do, obviously.

It's already there on every page of the bugs website.

The issue here is not that Don isn't doing his job, it's that the
tracker is not yet a central part of the Emacs workflow, and Stefan
and Yidong can very well get their work done without it.  It will
come; it's a better way of doing things ... just not the Emacs way,
yet.