Re: buildobj.lst and Windows builds - a tiny bit of help needed?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: buildobj.lst and Windows builds - a tiny bit of help needed?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:02:18 +0300

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 00:42:43 +0800
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs Developers <address@hidden>
>
> Ken Raeburn wrote:
> >
> >     echo $(ARGQUOTE)#define BUILDOBJ $(DQUOTE)\$(ARGQUOTE)  >
> > $(SRC)/buildobj.h
> >     echo $(OBJ0)     $(ARGQUOTE)\$(ARGQUOTE) >> $(SRC)/buildobj.h
>
> Yes, that looks about right.
>
> > Is one backslash what I need here, if I want to get one written to the
> > file at the end of the line?  Or does some backslash quote processing
> > happen, and I need two?
>
> If you don't need to double the backslashes in the main Makefile.in,
> then I don't think it will be necessary here.  If you do need to double
> them in Makefile.in, then it is probably dependent on the shell in use,
> and we'll have to add some more definitions to correctly cope with the
> differences.

I think it will be hard to DTRT without shell-specific targets: a
Unixy shell needs to see the backslash escaped, the Windows shell
needs to see it alone.  $(ARGQUOTE) will not help here, since with
stock Windows shell, $(ARGQUOTE)\$(ARGQUOTE) evaluates to "\", and the
backslash will escape the quote, which is not what we want.