Re: Bidi support

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Bidi support
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:45:05 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier writes:
> Agreed.  The more I think about it, the more I think we need to open
> a new branch for "what will become emacs-24".

> That's what I thought, too, about XEmacs 21.5.  I was wrong.  We ended
> up having to uproot the trunk and move it to a branch, and graft the
> 21.5 branch back as the trunk.  Long-term development belongs either
> on the trunk, or in feature branches.  Not on a long-term development
> branch which collects several features.

Having an separate branch has at least one merit.  As far as
it is branched from a fairly stable version, a person
working on the branch can be sure that any problem in that
branch is caused by his change.

For the case of bidi, if there's a plan of another big
change in the display engine, the above merit is big.  With
a separate branch, people working on bidi code don't have to
be annoyed by bugs of that another change.  Otherwise, I
think having bidi code in the trunk is better.

By the way, the case of emacs-unicode is very special.  It
simply can't be in the trunk while developing because the
new unicode feature can't be toggled.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden