Re: Difficulties byte-compiling very large .el file

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: Difficulties byte-compiling very large .el file
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:16:06 +0100

 Ar an naoú lá déag de mí Lúnasa, scríobh Aemon Cannon:

 > [...] Here's the source in question:
 > http://aemon.com/file_dump/as3_elispParser.el
 >
 > If you're interested in trying to compile, you'll need:
 > http://github.com/aemoncannon/antlr-elisp/raw/c411f29743e3182523e0ad27a9384b6c4210d55e/src/runtime/ELisp/a3el-runtime.el
 >
 > I don't think the error is actually related to the content of the
 > file, as there are no non-ascii characters in the file, and deleting
 > seemingly arbitrary chunks makes the error go away.

Tangentially to this, you should be aware that several of your integer
constants are silently overflowing in that file. With an XEmacs with 31-bit
integers and no bignum support, the Lisp reader throws an overflow error
twice for me; GNU Emacs has (IIRC) 27-bit integers on 32-bit platforms and
doesn’t error on reading integers it can’t represent, so more than two of
your integer constants may be corrupt.

The constants that overflow for me are 2147483647 on line 10006 and again on
line 2291. I can work around this (though there’s still lots of thrashing
when compiling the file) by using most-positive-fixnum instead, modifying
#'a3el-lookahead-let-bindings to call #'symbol-value on max-k if it doesn’t
satisfy #'numberp.

--
¿Dónde estará ahora mi sobrino Yoghurtu Nghe, que tuvo que huir
precipitadamente de la aldea por culpa de la escasez de rinocerontes?