Re: New sync'd branch

From: joakim
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:47:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:04:41 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden, Dmitry Dzhus <address@hidden>
>>
>> - the downside of course is that people who want to work on or play with
>>   the Emacs-24 branch will need to learn to use Git.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> Not good at all.  I don't want to waste my scarce time to learn Git,
> in addition to Bzr.

It would be interesting to know the needs you see that makes you make
this statement.

The way I used the Emacs CVS repos before I switched to bzr and git was
just:

- make local copy of remote repos
- hack
- fetch changes from upstream
- provide patch for emacs-devel to ridicule

which is about 3 scm commands. It seems to be a small investment even
for the interim.

I'm sure, though, that you need to do more complex things I'm missing.

Now that I use git I do more stuff like local branching, having several
remote branches to sync with, etc, but one doesn't have to do those kinds
of things.

--
Joakim Verona