Re: have cake will eat, eat cake will have - krazy key koncept kontrover

From: Andrey Paramonov
Subject: Re: have cake will eat, eat cake will have - krazy key koncept kontroversy
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:58:35 +0000 (UTC)

Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:
> OK, here comes the crazy, controversial part...
[the crazy, controversial part skipped]

Hello!

I see the problem you are trying to solve.

Your solution pros:
1) It has a sketch of elegant implementation,
2) It does solve the problem.

Your solution cons:
1) In many cases, user will have to hit prefix twice instead of once (C-a C-a
instead of C-a).

I suggest to go the other way around:
IF there is no keymap entry that matches the key sequence
*and* the previous key has successfully executed a command
*and* the key equals to the previous key
THEN repeat the command (and keep processing the key sequence).

For example:

C-x o   will take me to other window
C-x o o o o ...   will cycle me through windows
C-x C-f   will work as used to
C-x C-x   will exchange point and mark
C-x C-x C-x   will exchange point and mark twice
C-x C-x C-x C-x   will exchange point and mark three times

This approach does not impose extra key penalty for non-repetitive command
execution.

In Emacs 23, C-x C-= / C-x C-- (text-scale-adjust) work this way. I find it very
useful and intuitive.

Andrey Paramonov