Filename problem in CEDET merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Filename problem in CEDET merge
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:50:20 -0400

While working on the CEDET merge, I've come across a problem with the
8+3 filename restriction.

Semantic, CEDET's parser library, contains filenames that look like
this:

 semantic.el
 semantic-analyze.el
 semantic-analyze-complete.el
 semantic-analyze-debug.el

These clearly break the 8+3 limit.  In the past, we've dealt with this
by renaming files, e.g. shortening "semantic" to "sem", but even this
fails:

 sem-analyze.el
 sem-analyze-complete.el
 sem-analyze-debug.el

Renaming would also have the extremely bad effect of diverging from the
CEDET upstream, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Does anyone have suggestions for resolving this problem?  As far as
possible, it should remain possible to untar and compile Emacs on DOS,
though it's acceptable if the CEDET library doesn't work on DOS.