Re: have cake will eat, eatcake will have - krazy key koncept kontrover

From: Андрей Парамонов
Subject: Re: have cake will eat, eatcake will have - krazy key koncept kontroversy
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:35:16 +0400

2009/8/28 Drew Adams <address@hidden>:
> Using the technique I mentioned, you can get the behavior you listed (C-x o,
> C-x
> o o o..., C-x C-x, etc) immediately:
>
> (defun other-window-repeat ()
>  (interactive)
>  (repeat-command 'other-window))
>
> (define-key ctl-x-map "o" 'other-window-repeat)

Is it possible to make *all* key sequences repeatable? Creating the
above code for every single key sequence is tiresome...

> The real point was to be able to use this technique also for a prefix key: to
> be
> able to have a prefix key perform some action when repeated.  Why?
>
> a. To have additional easily repeatable keys (giving existing prefix keys
> double
> duty).
>
> b. To have additional prefix keys (giving existing non-prefix keys double
> duty).

My proposal solves a) and b) too:

a) C-x C-x becomes easily repeatable (1 + n instead of 2n keys for n
repeatitions);

b) You may make C-a prefix key, and bind C-a C-a to repeatable command
(again, 1 + n keys for n repeatitions, like in your method).

Is it correct that the difference between our proposals is the following?

1) Your method requires user to bind the prefix key (e.g. C-x, M-s h).

2) My method requires user to bind the whole key sequence for the
first repeatition (e.g. C-x C-x, M-s h h).

Andrey