Re: New sync'd branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:32:02 +0300

> From: Teemu Likonen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:19:23 +0300
>
> On 2009-08-28 12:04 (+0300), Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > First, you are probably working on GNU/Linux most of the time. By
> > contrast, most of my Emacs development is on MS-Windows, where
> > installing git is an adventure at best. Last time I looked (I'd love
> > to learn things changed since then), most of git were Unixy shell
> > scripts, which means I will need to install Cygwin or MSYS. Each one
> > of these needs its own share of learning, tweaking, and getting used
> > to. If I had this kind of time, I'd probably install GNU/Linux ion the
> > first place.
>
> The installation is just a click-click thing:
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Did you actually try to install and set up MSYS on Windows, and then
use that in parallel to the native MinGW development environment?

I did, so please don't tell me it's ``just a click-click thing''.
Installation is just the beginning of your trouble.  You install
things in order to be able to use them; it's _using_ MSYS together
with native environment on the same machine that takes most of the
energy.

> This "most of Git were Unixy shell scripts" is no longer true. There are
> some shell scripts but they are some rarely userd low-level utilities
> which I don't even remember what they are at the moment. Git is C code
> now.

As long as it needs MSYS, the problem is still there for me.

Let's face it: Git was invented for GNU/Linux by Linux enthusiasts; it
kicks ass on GNU/Linux, but using it on non-Posix platforms is not
(and was not supposed to be) a feast.