Re: Filename problem in CEDET merge

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Filename problem in CEDET merge
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:27:38 +0900

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:
>> > (provide 'hack/fooble)
>> > (require 'hack/fooble)
>> >
>> > and Emacs finds it and loads it.  This could be a magic way to have
>> > "long" file names on DOS.  Just providing 'fooble won't work.
>>
>> This might work for `require', but I don't think it will work for
>> `load' (e.g., in ~/.emacs).
>
> Load still works with my example, as:
>
> (load "hack/fooble")

This is excellent -- it seems to work great when I tried it for
load/require/provide.  It seems a _much_ better method for shortening
filenames than the "painfully contrived cryptic abbreviations" method
we've used previously.

In addition, it actually makes the source tree look better:  Redundant
prefixes on every file in a package are ugly even when the filesystem
can deal with the extra length, but I thought they were required to make
require/provide work -- but as you point out, maybe not...!

If we're going to group all the files for a package in a subdirectory
anyway, why not take advantage of that structure?

-Miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.