Re: New sync'd branch

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:59:26 -0400

On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:04 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Not good at all.  I don't want to waste my scarce time to learn Git,
in addition to Bzr.

I found the learning part (bzr and git) to be good fun since the basic concepts are quite easy. The great time-wasting happened when I tried to actually do stuff with bzr and the Emacs repository, because everything took ages with bzr (even after their optimizations) and, more often than not, I got incomprehensible error messages from deep down in the Python code (how is that for good UI?). Changes to the repo format were plenty, and usually the formats were incompatible or had to be converted on-the-fly, making things even slower.

Developers on the bzr mailing list were very friendly and responsive, but that doesn't help when basic quality assurance doesn't work and when the basic design is prone to useless error messages and slow operation that doesn't scale well with project size (commit numbers).

I don't contribute enough to Emacs proper for my opinion to be heard here, which is why I've quietly switched my own branch to Git, despite the pain I'm anticipating when the git mirror will be recreated. It's well worth it.

(By the way, I use git with git-new-workdir from contrib/ in order to keep multiple branches in parallel without wasting disk space. That's the bzr model of a local shared repo, as far as I understand it.)

First, you are probably working on GNU/Linux most of the time.  By
contrast, most of my Emacs development is on MS-Windows, where
installing git is an adventure at best.  Last time I looked (I'd love
to learn things changed since then), most of git were Unixy shell
scripts, which means I will need to install Cygwin or MSYS.

It seems like there's a complete point-and-click installer with msys. Looks very Windowslike to me. Mostly up to date (July 09) and comfortable.

http://nathanj.github.com/gitguide/tour.html