Re: New sync'd branch

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:49:53 +0200

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 19:11, Óscar Fuentes<address@hidden> wrote:

> I say that git's speed is no longer a reason for choosing it on
> Windows. Some operations (like initializing a git-svn repo) is orders of
> magnitude slower on Windows than on GNU/Linux. Importing a 1000 revs svn
> repo took *hours* on Windows, less than a minute on GNU/Linux. bzr
> imports it on Windows almost as fast as git on GNU/Linux.

Your experience with bzr seems to have been better than mine. Cloning
a repo, and doing some normal operations has been much slower with bzr
than git. So, if not a reason to use git over bzr (on projects that
don't require it, as Emacs will be), it is certainly a factor. AFAIK,
it did take months for bzr log to be usable on an Emacs repository...

> Why do you hate cygwin and not msys, which is cygwin by other name (and
> with not so good maintenance and quality, IMO).

I don't really hate Cygwin, I hate *having to use it*; I hate it
forcing me into that fake "you're on Unix now" mindset. If some tool
uses Cygwin under the hood, at it works fine, fine.

> This is like C++ and other gratuitously complex systems: it is difficult
> to learn what's important and what's irrelevant or even dangerous.

Yes. That does not mean that C++ or other "gratuitously complex
systems" are worthless (and I say that as someone who once ago made a
living programming in C++ and who does *not* like it). So, if you're
saying that git would be better by removing complexity, I agree. But
still, some things it does quite well (frankly, switching branches in
place is much more intuitive for me that the current "shared
repository" thing in bzr, for example).

> Learning bzr took me half an hour and I'm productively working with it
> since two months ago. bzr does its job and it is out your way. git
> requires quite a bit of mastership and knowing lots of things about its
> inner workings.

I disagree. It only requires that you know about the complexity if you
intend to do some specialized things, and the same if true for bzr or
any other DVCS. I know nothing about git inner workings.

All in all, we'll have to agree to disagree. It would be silly to turn
this into a bzr vs git war; and more so because I really don't have
anything against bzr; it's just that I have nothing *for* it, either,
at the moment.

    Juanma