Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 02:27:02 +0300

>>> 15 years ago there were grand plans, but... dunno about now.
>>> It's a different world in many ways.
>>
>> AFAIK, Guile and Scheme as a whole still flourish these days,
>
> There are a huge number of scheme implementations now; even thinking
> just about scheme, is guile still competitive?

Among all Scheme implementations Guile is in the same position
as bzr among all DVCSs - it is the "official" selection for the
GNU project.

>> and the only serious contender is Clojure that could integrate
>> with Emacs the same way as it does with Java.
>
> Why?  There are tons of random little languages around now,

Clojure is a little language with a big impact.

> some very popular (i.e., javascript), many not so much.

JavaScript is not Lisp.

> Clojure is not scheme, so why is it any better than those?

Clojure is not Scheme, but Clojure is Lisp, like Emacs Lisp is.

> [Compatibility with the java runtime is important for some people, but
> AFAIK, not for Emacs!]

True, but I thought about replacing its Java VM part with Emacs.
Anyway, this point is moot, since Clojure concurrency relies on
Java threads, but Emacs has no threads yet.  At least, Clojure
is a good example how concurrency with STM, agent, atoms and
dynamic var systems could be implemented in Emacs.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/