Re: New sync'd branch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:17:47 +0900

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>> It's very, _very_ fast.
>
> Yeah, as if showing a diff or a log in 0.1 seconds instead of 1 second
> were a definitive advantage.
>
> Slowness is a reason for rejecting a tool, but being blazingly fast is
> not a compelling reason for choosing it.

I don't think speed is the primary reason to choose git, but it most
definitely is a very appealing aspect of it.

In many cases, the competition _is_ slow, and sometimes _really_ slow.
While a 1 second delay is annoying, a 10 second delay starts to cause
real problems, and a 2 minute delay is insane.

Moreover, a _really_ fast system (where almost every operation is
near-instantaneous) actually does allow different work flows; instead of
feeling like you have to plan all your operations carefully, you feel
free to explore (git's facile interface and transparency really help
here too of course).

Combined with most operations being purely local, it really feels
_different_ (in a very good way) from past systems.

>> Anyway, it's pretty clear that many, many, very smart people really like
>> git, _despite_ the strong competition.  Why do you think that is?
>>
>> [Hint:  your silly claim that it's all because of "linux worship" are
>> just clueless flamebait.]
>
> First you say that very smart people is choosing git as an evidence of
> its superiority, and then dismiss as flamebait my assertion that
> Torvarlds' authorship is one of the main reasons for git's popularity.

Yeesh, I can't believe you're trying to defend your silly troll, but:

I'm not claiming that "many smart people choosing git" is a _reason_ for
others (e.g. us) to choose git (though, in fact it's obviously a better
reason than a single smart person!), I'm asking why you think they chose
it.  It's a reality check of your flamebait.

-Miles

--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche