Re: Emacs 23.1 flushes stdin on startup

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1 flushes stdin on startup
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:19:28 -0500

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:27:42 +0200 Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I haven't seen a response from Stefan (about the code rewrite) or Johan
>> (about the naming).  Can you please let me know if the patch is OK?

UM> Sorry, but introducing a config variable to work around this problem
UM> looks broken to me.

UM> Isn't there any better solution? For example, can't the pending input
UM> be saved and stuffed back into the input buffer, instead of discarding
UM> it?

Emacs already tries to DTRT so this overrides it when the user wants or
it can't guess accurately.  See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/66789 for the original post.
I think (from looking at the code) that doing it without a variable
would require much more complicated code, and the benefit would be
small.  I could certainly be wrong, though.

Ted