A student hopes to learn more about the Emacs Community and Free/Open So

From: Tiebing Shi
Subject: A student hopes to learn more about the Emacs Community and Free/Open Source Software
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:00:56 -0400

Dear friends,

I have been reading your postings to mailing lists of Emacs Community. I have really enjoyed reading about your perspectives on the Free/Open Source Software phenomenon.

My name is Tiebing Shi and I am a Ph.D. student at Queen's University in Canada. I am very interested in learning more about the Free/Open Source Software Community. The study that I am doing for my Ph.D., thesis is called "User Creativity: An Investigation of the Free/Open Source Software Community."

I sincerely invite you to participate in my study. I would like to interview you in your role as a developer and/or user in your legendary Emacs Community. Your experience of developing and/or using Emacs and other Free/Open Source Software will greatly help me to understand the creative activities of the Emacs Community and the whole FOSS Community. If your time permits, I would like to interview you via phone (if you like, we can conduct our interview via email). The phone interview will last about 1 hour.

Please be kindly informed that there is no obligation to participate in this study. But your participation will be highly appreciated. Your confidentiality will be protected. For example, your real name will not be used in my thesis and future publications. Further information about this study and our interview will be sent to you upon request.

Please respond to this email to let me know your interest in participating in a phone (or email) interview with me. By email, we can determine a time for an interview that is most convenient for you. Please also let me know your phone number and time zone (my time zone is Eastern Daylight Time) so that I can call you at your local time you select.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will respond to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support and I look forward to talking with you.

Sincerely,

Tiebing Shi
Ph.D. Candidate (Marketing)
Queen's School of Business