Re: Redundant if clause in xdisp.c?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redundant if clause in xdisp.c?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:40:19 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:50:39 -0400
>
> > Okay to remove the condition and to collapse both branches into a
> > single code fragment?
>
> Looks like a good idea, yes.

Done.

> BTW, before playing with the redisplay, please just throw away
> keyboard.c's handling of self-insert-command, forward-char and
> backward-char, as well as the corresponding "direct-rendering
> fast-path" code.

These optimizations are disabled for bidi redisplay anyway, so they
don't bother me.

> These optimizations seem to be pointless nowadays: even when running
> Emacs-23 on my cell-phone (FreeRunner) displaying on my desktop, they
> don't make any noticeable difference.

How did you turn them off to measure their influence, and with what
kind of stuff in your buffer(s)?

> I refrained from installing this change for Emacs-23.2, out of fear
> bigfoot might come and bite me, but I'll definitely install it for
> Emacs-24.

OK, but for now I'd prefer not to do any changes in my bidi sandbox
that are not strictly related to bidirectional editing.  Once we have
a way to commit these changes to CVS, fine with me, if we are sure
these optimizations don't matter anymore.