Re: Redundant if clause in xdisp.c?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Redundant if clause in xdisp.c?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:21:42 -0400

>> BTW, before playing with the redisplay, please just throw away
>> keyboard.c's handling of self-insert-command, forward-char and
>> backward-char, as well as the corresponding "direct-rendering
>> fast-path" code.

> These optimizations are disabled for bidi redisplay anyway, so they
> don't bother me.

Good.

>> These optimizations seem to be pointless nowadays: even when running
>> Emacs-23 on my cell-phone (FreeRunner) displaying on my desktop, they
>> don't make any noticeable difference.

> How did you turn them off to measure their influence,

I removed the corresponding code.

> and with what kind of stuff in your buffer(s)?

I tried it in *scratch* and in a Python-mode buffer (visiting
/usr/bin/zhone), doing random movement and typing (especially using the
auto-repeat to see when the redisplay keeps up and when it doesn't).

>> I refrained from installing this change for Emacs-23.2, out of fear
>> bigfoot might come and bite me, but I'll definitely install it for
>> Emacs-24.

> OK, but for now I'd prefer not to do any changes in my bidi sandbox
> that are not strictly related to bidirectional editing.  Once we have
> a way to commit these changes to CVS, fine with me, if we are sure
> these optimizations don't matter anymore.

Sure, I just wanted to make sure you don't waste time in these parts of
the code.

        Stefan