Re: Language identification

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Language identification
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:01:38 -0400

    > Also there are conflicting extensions like e.g. ".pl" for both
    > Perl and Prolog (esp. SWI-Prolog).

    That's indeed an interesting case, where content-based mode choice might
    make sense.  Thanks for reminding me of it.

I'd prefer a very specific feature for choosing between these two
languages to use of a general mechanism.  The specific feature
would probably be more reliable, and people would not be tempted
to use it for other issues where it is not the right approach.

But it would be even better to convince people to use distinct
extensions.