Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:38:15 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu writes:
> The first update of the Mac port, which is experimental/hackers-only,
> is also available from
>
>     ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs/emacs-23.1-mac-1.91.tar.gz

Works for me so far.  Thanks for that.

A couple of things that I noticed:

* Iconify confusion.  a) When I minimize the Emacs frame and than click
on the Dock icon, I get a new frame.  I would expect the old frame to be
restored instead.  b) When I close the new frame (without opening the
old frame before), Emacs quits.  It seems that the code that decides
between just closing a frame and quitting Emacs does not consider
iconified frames.  This already happend with the previous version of
Carbon+AppKit.

* multi-tty feature.  "(featurep 'multi-tty)" returns t even though
multi-tty does not work (as you note in README-mac).

I would of course prefer to have this work in the first place.  You say
in the README-mac that you do not know how to disconnect from the Dock,
but I do not think that it is really important to have that particular
feature.  Multi-tty is still usefull, even if the Emacs icon in the Dock
stays activated.

On second thought I am not even sure I want this to change, after all
Emacs /is/ still active even if it doesn't show any UI frames currently.

* Self-contained app.  I can create a self-contained app, not depending
on /usr/local, by redirecting all the stuff that usually gets installed
to /usr/local to mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources.  I basically override
all the relevant Makefile variables in the make step.  Can we get this
as a regular configure option?  The GnuStep/Cocoa port does this as did
the old Carbon port and I for one like it.

benny