Re: Compiling Emacs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:50:06 -0400

On Aug 31, 2009, at 6:36 AM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
 * For Emacs 22.3 and 23.1, you need to apply the patch below.  It
   has already been applied to the CVS trunk.

This works, even though I had to include loader.h explicitly with a full path, because it otherwise seems to include an older loader.h that doesn't define LC_DYLD_INFO.

The bigger problem now is that it won't run on 10.5 systems:

 ./emacs
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

(LC_DYLD_INFO = 0x22)

So I set the deployment target...

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

In that case it builds fine, even without LC_DYLD_INFO being defined. I think the linker will correctly generate compatible mach-o files.

It still won't execute on 10.5.  Not sure what this is about:

./Emacs -nw
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _fdopen$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: /Users/dr/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/./Emacs
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _fdopen$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: /Users/dr/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/./Emacs
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

This is with CC=-arch i386, --without-x --with-ns, from the master branch.

Thanks for working on the 10.6 build issue.