Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs/lisp image.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs/lisp image.el
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 02:05:44 +0200

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 01:49, Stefan Monnier<address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a the vague impression that it's linked to the long discussion we
> had about safety and other such things linked to the use of magic-* in
> preference to auto-mode-alist, so we wanted to avoid false positives.

But image-jpeg-p exists, and has been used in image-type-regexps, since 2001:

2001-08-08  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>

        * image.el (image-type-regexps): Allow predicates.  Change the way
        JPEG images are recognized.
        (image-jpeg-p): New function.
        (image-type-from-data): Handle predicates in image-type-regexps.

It was, apparently, never intended to be anything but a helper for
image-type-regexps.

The discussion you're talking about is much more recent, isn't? (2005
or 2006, I think.)

    Juanma