Re: turning on minor modes from hooks

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: turning on minor modes from hooks
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:07:42 +0900

Daniel Colascione writes:

 > Isn't magically changing behavior between the interactive and
 > non-interactive cases a Bad Thing?

No.  XEmacs inverts the (boolean) prefix arg in some cases where
experience shows that interactive usage by far favored the prefixed
version.  This was hotly opposed in theory, in practice everybody
loved it immediately.  It turned out that C-e and M-: (end-of-line) RET
are not aliases in our minds (YMMV), but rather synonyms, and we don't
have trouble making the subtle semantic distinction.  (NB, the command
in question isn't `end-of-line', but I don't remember which it is and
a quick grep shows that "invert" isn't the word used in the docstring.)

 > What about some kind of enable-minor-mode function?

If you mean a generic function that can enable specific minor modes,
that will just cause proliferation of definitions like

(defun turn-on-auto-fill () (enable-minor-mode 'auto-fill-mode))
(defun turn-off-auto-fill () (disable-minor-mode 'auto-fill-mode))