Re: Compiling Emacs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:35:57 -0400

On Sep 1, 2009, at 1:24 AM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
This works, even though I had to include loader.h explicitly with a
full path, because it otherwise seems to include an older loader.h
that doesn't define LC_DYLD_INFO.

How did you build it?  The standard procedure should include the right
loader.h.

CC='gcc -arch i386' ./configure --with-ns --without-x
make bootstrap

Turns out that I had a /usr/local/include/mach-o directory with the old loader.h file. It looks like it was installed along with llvm in spring 2008. It may have been part of a free iPhone OS related build stack that I installed around that time.

I've fixed it for myself, but I can't tell how likely this sort of thing will happen on other people's systems. It's of course a problem with whatever I installed back then rather than with your code.

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

I can't reproduce this with the CVS trunk HEAD.  What I did was:

 mkdir emacs-ns-i386-10.4
 cd emacs-ns-i386-10.4
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 CC='gcc -arch i386' ../emacs/ configure --with-ns
 MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 make install

The resulting binary runs on both 10.5 and 10.4.  You can check which
object uses _fdopen$UNIX2003 by running "nm -A src/*.o | grep fdopen".
Or maybe Emacs is unconsciously linked with some external libraries?

That brings up charset.o, lread.o and term.o.

Well, I did a "make clean" and started from scratch with the 10.4 deployment target, and the results run fine on 10.5.

Thanks
- D