Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 23:02:12 +0000

Good early morning!

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 12:36:53AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > princ is the wrong function - it's purpose is to convert lisp objects
> > to human reabable strings, so it'll be doing something wierd with the
> > control characters in the output strings,

> No, it doesn't.  It works like princ is supposed to work.

I don't doubt that.  However, it doesn't work in the CC Mode test suite,
whereas send-string-to-terminal does.  Or, rather, did.

I suspect Barry Warsaw, the original author of 000tests.el, tried princ
at first, couldn't get it working, and then put send-string-to-terminal
in in its place.  Or, possibly, wrote send-string-to-terminal for that
purpose.  It was a long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestion anyhow.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).