Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs/lisp/org org.el ChangeLog

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs/lisp/org org.el ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:32:08 +0200

On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I have my default-major-mode set to `org-mode'.

In the function where you placed your comment, I am calling
customize-save-variable.  IIRC, it happened to me that my custom
file did not have a .el extension, and that, when the custom file
was visited in order to write the modified variable, org-mode
was selected for that file and messed it up, somehow.

I don't know if this could still happen, but I believe
this was the issue, and to be safe I scoped a the default
value for default-major-mode into that call.

What do you want me to do about it?

Report a bug for it.

I will, if that happens to me again.

Remove it and hope for the best, or explain it in a commentary?

I don't have any strong opinion on it (other than the fact that
default-major-mode should be replaced by (default-value 'major-mode),
which is a bit more troublesome in let), but if you keep it, then please
add a comment explaining that it's a workaround for a bug in cutomize
(or somesuch).

OK, I got rid of this in my development version, and I will push my
changes to Emacs soon.

- Carsten

       Stefan