Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:57:28 +0000

Hi, Andreas!

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 11:14:51AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > I don't doubt that.  However, it doesn't work in the CC Mode test
> > suite,

> Please define "doesn't work".

Sorry, bad phraseology.  I meant it doesn't do what the test program needs.
Basically, it's not the right function for the job.  More specifically,
the test program outputs lines on the screen looking like this:

    Testing arglist-19.c (syntax)

, but displays them "on top" of eachother, so that the stuff on the
screen doesn't scroll upwards, which would be unhelpful.  Only when it
finds errors (which of course happens only rarely ;-) does it scroll,
then it carries on displaying the "testing <filename> (..)" lines as
before.

When I tried `princ' in place of `send-string-to-terminal', the
displaying of these lines was broken.  Typically, the line would look
something like:

            arg    -1       ntax)

, with the cursor jumping madly over it, the actual contents being
updated every 2 or 3 seconds.  This is on a Linux virtual terminal.

Stefan's patch has made `send-string-to-terminal' work again in batch
mode.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).