Defaulting to fancy diary display

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Defaulting to fancy diary display
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:07:47 -0400

I should like to change the default of diary-display-function from
diary-simple-display to diary-fancy-display.

The fancy display allows for many more features than the simple one
does (sorting, including, sexps etc); but these features are only
relevant if you use them, so they will not confuse new users.

The only advantage of the simple display is that you can edit the
diary file directly. I would argue that this is actually confusing for
most users - non-relevant text is made invisible, so what you are
editing is only a portion of the real file. In particular, if you
copy/paste information, you can inadvertently paste invisible text.
When you want to edit the file, it is better to edit it as a normal
file.

I believe the fancy display is a better default for most users.