Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 22:35:44 +0800

*On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:15:41 -0400
* Also sprach David Reitter <address@hidden>:

> On Sep 5, 2009, at 3:47 AM, CHENG Gao wrote:
>> Since Snow Leopard is out of cage, I am wondering if YAMAMOTO-san
>> intend
>> to add mac port into Emacs trunk. I personally hope this can happen.
>> With mac port added, the greatest befinet is Emacs can work on all
>> MacOSX versions. And if I understand correctly, it's not possible for
>> Cocoa port to achieve this easily.
>
> What are the chances that improvements like the event loop from the
> Mac port are combined with the NextStep/Cocoa code?
>
>> 1 Cocoa port uses 10.3 SDK to support MacOSX 10.3-10.5.
>
> Everybody please note that there are probably very few people still
> left on 10.3.  It came out in 2003, with the last minor release made
> in early 2005.
> Cheng Gao, perhaps you could provide a pointer to user statistics if
> you think 10.3 is a big deal.
>
> If somebody needs to use the old OS X, they can certainly stick to an
> older (and still supported!) Emacs 22.  Developer resources are very
> scarce.  Supporting outdated platforms is not the best use of people's
> time.

I can not find anywhere in my postings that advertises support of 10.3.
If you open ns port Emacs project file, you can find it uses 10.3.9 SDK.
And its README tells it supports 10.3 and later, but it's wrong.

Mac port supports 10.2-10.6 as explained by YAMAMOTO-san. As you said,
developer resources are very scarce, and since YAMAMOTO-san already
spent efforts to get it working across whole MACOSX line (except 10.0
and 10.1), I think it's good thing to get it merged into TRUNK. Anyway
supporting as many platforms is always good thing.