CEDET merge question

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: CEDET merge question
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:28:31 -0400

I have a question about CEDET that hopefully someone on this list, who
has more experience using CEDET than me, can help answer (I've been
corresponding with Eric Ludlam, but he's gone on vacation).

The Semantic parser appears to have two major "back-ends", bovine and
wisent, which are used to generate Semantic tags.  Does anyone know how
crucial these packages are, and whether one or the other (or both) be
dropped or somehow trimmed down?

I ask because the CEDET merge already involves an uncomfortably large
amount of code, and it's rather dismaying to see these two big code
trees "embedded" in subdirectories of Semantic.  (Wisent, for instance,
appears to be an entire Elisp reimplementation of Bison...)

(The CVS branch I'm using for the CEDET merge is not yet suitable for
general testing; I'll inform the list when it's ready.)