Re: CEDET merge question

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: CEDET merge question
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:08:45 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> Do you know if the bovine and wisent parsers are mutually replacable?
> For instance, the default parser seems to be bovine; would it be a big
> deal if we included just the bovine parser?

I don't think it makes much sense to include just the Bovine parser. If
you look at

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/languagesupport.shtml

you'll see the currently supported languages in CEDET, together with
their current status regarding completion, project support etc.. The
grammar column shows the type of grammar, "LL" or "LALR". The former is
done with Bovine/Bison, the latter with Wisent. So Bison isn't really
the default, but it's the older one, and especially the C/C++ support is
pretty stable by now (there's also a Wisent parser for C, but it doesn't
support C++ and AFAIK is currently not used). Some of the Wisent
grammars are in the contrib directory, which probably means they
basically work, but lack further infrastructure in Semantic.

But I think the Wisent grammars work pretty much the same as the Bison
ones, i.e., during CEDET's compilation a file 'wisent-<LANG>-wy.el' file
is created, which contains the actual parser.

-David