Re: Gnus and No Gnus

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Gnus and No Gnus
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:31:33 -0400

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Today I tried synch'ing the Gnus trunk with the Emacs trunk and
> found a problem concerning `float-time'.

Sorry, I did my best to think about these issues.

> In time-date.el, `define-obsolete-function-alias' is not available
> in Emacs 21 that Gnus still supports.  It causes an error when

I'm not suggesting this as a solution to this issue, but does the very
latest Gnus really need to run on 3 major versions of Emacs? When are
you going to drop support for Emacs 21?

> In ecomplete.el, gnus-util.el and time-date.el, (featurep 'xemacs)
> is used for checking if `float-time' is available like this:
>
>   (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>       (time-to-seconds time)
>     (float-time time))
>
> However, XEmacs may implement `float-time' in the future.

I used featurep in preference to fboundp to avoid compilation
warnings, and so that the compiler could optimise the test away.

> Therefore I made changes in those files as attached below.  WDYT?

Fine. I would then stick a with-no-warnings around every use of
time-to-seconds, and an eval-and-compile around the revised definition
of gnus-float-time.