Re: build broken: no defun org-float-time. Who's guilty, and what does

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: build broken: no defun org-float-time. Who's guilty, and what does he propose?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:39:32 -0400

On Sep 7, 2009, at 16:06, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
We have `features' and `load-history' to help us.

Yes.

Files loaded by loadup.el are easily extracted by simple text
scanning, and the byte compiler itself indeed _is_ a prerequisite for
every other compilation.

But if a minor comment change is made in the compiler source, must we recompile everything? We don't generally make .o files explicitly depend on the C compiler. Though, in the gcc project they probably do... so, yeah, maybe it's the way to go.

Btw, I don't understand what problem do you see with files preloaded
by loadup.  They should simply be all prerequisites of temacs, and
that's it, right?

Well, "emacs", not "temacs" which is just linked from the C code, but also I was assuming we wouldn't make the emacs binary an explicit dependency for the .elc files; otherwise, someone downloading and building a release will have to recompile all the elisp code even though the results will differ from everyone else's only in the first few comment lines.

And I'm not sure if we want to list all those files as dependencies anyways. We might indeed want to recompile everything if subr.el changes, if we can't figure out what actually used stuff from that file. On the other hand, we probably don't want to recompile everything because lisp/language/georgian.el changed. (Conservatively speaking, I suppose we should, in case someone decided to redefine 'defcustom' there.) Actually, I think we want to rebuild if subr.elc changes, other than the comments indicating who compiled it and when, not just for all subr.el changes, and likewise for the compiler code....

Ken