Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:22:38 -0400

> Since Snow Leopard is out of cage, I am wondering if YAMAMOTO-san intend
> to add mac port into Emacs trunk. I personally hope this can happen.

I think it is a it late for it now.  When the Carbon port lost its
maintainer and nobody was interested to port it to emacs-unicode,
it might have been a good option, but at that time Yamamoto-san didn't
seen too sure what he intended to do with his AppKit port, so we ended
up having to drop the Carbon code, at which point the Emacs.app code
started to look like a good solution.  Nowadays, I'm a lot more
interested in improving the Emacs.app port than integrating another
Mac port.

In other words, I'd recommend to anyone interested in Emacs-in-MacOsX to
focus on the Emacs.app code, possibly by integrating parts of other
ports's code into it.  IIUC the Emacs.app code needs a lot of work.

        Stefan