Re: CEDET merge question

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET merge question
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:27:09 -0400

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think we have any other packages where the rule is "make the
> change upstream first".  That sounds like a liability to me.

Actually, that's the situation for Org mode.  If you want to *develop*
Org mode, I would encourage you to work on the upstream version, not the
version in Emacs.

This refers to development, not bug fixes (I apologize if my prior post
caused confusion).  In the preceding discussion, Joakim was talking
about writing new Semantic grammars, i.e. development.  Bugfixes can of
course be applied to the version in the Emacs repository.  (Though
bugfixes should also be pushed upstream too, in most cases.)

In the future, we will want to integrate CEDET more deeply into Emacs.
When that time comes, we'll need a new arrangement.  But for the time
being, I'd prefer to treat CEDET more than (say) Org mode than (say)
Calendar.