Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:28:45 +0200

>     The OP was talking about detecting changes in files that Emacs does
>     not know about, including in files that are created while Emacs runs.
>
> I think he wanted to detect changes in the contents of a directory
> that Emacs is looking at.  From another point of view, that can be
> described as changes in the files that directory.

One way to look at it is auto-revert-mode for directories visited with
dired. Something other than Emacs is changing the contents of a
directory and I would like dired to notice. This can be achieved in a
number of ways, but the way I had in mind is an inotify handler in
Emacs, that would insert some kind of event in the event stream, so one
could bind a handler to it. This should be portable across platforms
with different filesystem notification schemes, and consistent with
Emacs behavior in general.

--
Joakim Verona