Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:47:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>>         address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:28:45 +0200
>>
>> One way to look at it is auto-revert-mode for directories visited with
>> dired. Something other than Emacs is changing the contents of a
>> directory and I would like dired to notice. This can be achieved in a
>> number of ways, but the way I had in mind is an inotify handler in
>> Emacs, that would insert some kind of event in the event stream, so one
>> could bind a handler to it. This should be portable across platforms
>> with different filesystem notification schemes, and consistent with
>> Emacs behavior in general.
>
> I can hardly imagine that using inotify is more portable than looking
> at the time stamp of the directory (which works even on Windows, if
> you have NTFS).

Re-reading my message I see it was not very clear.

I meant that a portable emacs interface can be built on the various
plattform specific interfaces, such as inotify. Looking at the directory
timestamp could be one such implementation, but that would require
polling in Emacs right? That would make Emacs slow with a large number
of open dired buffers.

--
Joakim Verona