Re: Warnings about keymaps

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Warnings about keymaps
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 03:32:35 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> - most importantly: it doesn't solve the problem at hand which is how
>   to get rid of the other warning.

The other warning?

> - what's its use?  It's not like we've seen lots of bugs where people
>   use both defconst and defvar for a variable.

It simply replaces the current "variable assignment to a constant"
warning with a slightly more informative one, as you suggested.

> - Finally, if the defconst+defvar is really what you want to do (as in
>   the present case where the defconst and the defvar both come from
>   macros that we may not want to change), how do you silence
>   the warning?

The same way you silence the current one about variable assignment to
a constant. :)

I don't think is a particularly useful change. I think it would be
better to change define-derived-mode to not defvar the map if it is
already defined; or to change easy-mode-defmap to not use defconst
(are you saying users should not add key bindings to
log-edit-mode-map, for example?).