Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:24:09 -0600

>>>>> "Tassilo" == Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Tassilo> I don't think that's a good approach, because it requires a lot of
Tassilo> maintenance and testing on the package repository side.  It would be
Tassilo> better if a package could specify something like

Tassilo>   (package "my-package"
Tassilo>     (version "1.0")
Tassilo>     (need ">=emacs-23"))

It does do this.
Take a look at package.el.

Tassilo>   (package "my-package"
Tassilo>     (version "0.8")
Tassilo>     (need ">=emacs-22.1" "<emacs-23"))

I didn't implement "<" dependencies.
I didn't think this was worth the effort.

Tassilo> So when I run emacs 22, package.el would show version 0.8 of
Tassilo> my-package, with emacs 23 it would show version 1.0, and with
Tassilo> emacs 21 it wouldn't be shown as not installable.

I didn't do this, either.  I think few people bounce between Emacs
versions this way.

Tassilo> Another issue is updating.  There the question is: Can I update
Tassilo> package A without breaking any other package that needs it?

Yes.  Assuming package A is backward compatible.  package.el doesn't
check this, it has no way to.

Tom