Re: ISO dates, correction on Org documentation

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: ISO dates, correction on Org documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:07:07 +0100

I have now added the patch to my development version, it
will make it into Emacs when I next update there, in about 2 weeks.

- Carsten

On Sep 18, 2009, at 6:44 AM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:

Hello Dominik,

The Org mode documentation says that Org mode uses ISO time
stamps. Although Org mode date/time format is inspired by ISO, it is not fully compliant, see for instance http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ISO_8601
on ISO date and time format.

I corrected the documentation and attached a patch.

FYI, in ISO date/time format looks like this:

2009-09-18T07:16

while Org mode is like that

<2009-09-18 ven. 07:16>

(this timestamp was generated by `C-c .' on my machine, `ven.' means
`Fri' in French).

Intervals and are supported by ISO, with a `/' separator, while org uses a `-' separator which is ambiguous in ISO (+ or - are used for the time
zone).

ISO also supports intervals specified with a duration with the `P'
seperator, such intervals may be defined relative to begin date or
end date

ISO also supports repetitions with the `R' separator, while Org uses a
`+' separator.

If ever you want to implement ISO 8601 format into Org, I suggests that ISO8601 timesamps/time interval are encapsulated into `<I' and `>' where
the leading `I' would help Org to disambiguate from native Org mode
format (although in case where `T', `P' or `R' is used, it is possible
to guess it's an ISO format.

So the example I gave would be:

<I2009-09-18T07:16>

There could also be some relaxed ISO using an `i' prefix like this:

<i2009-09-18T07:16(ven.)>

where the day short name (eg. `ven.') is shown between backets, as it is
cool to have this information. Relaxed ISO would just strip _anything_
between brackets before interpreting the timestamp, so it would be quite
robust to locale stuff (like `ven.'  instead of `Fri').

Very best regards,

  Vincent.

PS: I may contribute on this, if you wish.

*** org.texi.old        Fri Sep 11 19:30:09 2009
--- org.texi    Fri Sep 18 04:59:29 2009
***************
*** 4831,4844 ****
 @cindex deadlines
 @cindex scheduling

! A timestamp is a specification of a date (possibly with a time or a range
! of times) in a special format, either @samp{<2003-09-16 Tue>} or
 @samp{<2003-09-16 Tue 09:39>} or @samp{<2003-09-16 Tue
! 12:00-12:30>address@hidden is the standard ISO date/time format. To ! use an alternative format, see @ref{Custom time format}.}. A timestamp ! can appear anywhere in the headline or body of an Org tree entry. Its
! presence causes entries to be shown on specific dates in the agenda
! (@pxref{Weekly/daily agenda}).  We distinguish:

 @table @var
 @item Plain timestamp; Event; Appointment

! 12:00-12:30>address@hidden format is inspired by the standard ISO 8601 ! date/time format. To use an alternative format, see @ref{Custom time ! format}.}. A timestamp can appear anywhere in the headline or body of an Org ! tree entry. Its presence causes entries to be shown on specific dates in the
! agenda (@pxref{Weekly/daily agenda}).  We distinguish:

 @table @var
 @item Plain timestamp; Event; Appointment
***************
*** 4985,4992 ****
 @cindex time, reading in minibuffer

 @vindex org-read-date-prefer-future
! When Org mode prompts for a date/time, the default is shown as an ISO
! date, and the prompt therefore seems to ask for an ISO date.  But it
 will in fact accept any string containing some date and/or time
information, and it is really smart about interpreting your input. You can, for example, use @kbd{C-y} to paste a (possibly multi-line) string
--- 4985,4993 ----
 @cindex time, reading in minibuffer

 @vindex org-read-date-prefer-future
! When Org mode prompts for a date/time, the default value is shown in default ! date/time format which looks like an ISO date, and the prompt therefore seems
! to ask for a date/time in this format.  But it