Re: Dired auto-revert

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Dired auto-revert
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:05:14 +0300

>> Or maybe we should add a new option that defines whether revert
>> automatically or just display a message.
>
> Yes, please, if we implement the possibility of auto-reverting, then let's
> keep
> it only a possibility, not an obligation. IOW, let's also make it possible to
> choose not to auto-revert.
>
> It might even be useful to give such control for specific directories or
> classes
> of directories: have two options, analogous to `special-display-buffer-names'
> and `special-display-regexps' (and `same-window-*').
>
> `dired-auto-revert-names':
> List of directories for which Dired auto-reverts.
>
> `dired-auto-revert-regexps':
> List of regexps specifying which Dired buffers are auto-reverted.
>
> If both are nil, then there is no auto-reverting.
> If `dired-auto-revert-regexps' is `(".")', then all Dired buffers are
> auto-reverted.

I thought just an option for remote files would be enough.  Maybe it could
be implemented as a regexp but better as a predicate for defcustom that
tests `file-remote-p' and also could test the directory size, subdirectories
presence in the same dired buffer, etc.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/