Re: make-variable-buffer-local change

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: make-variable-buffer-local change
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 03:42:15 +0200

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:30, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I understand you.  But currently, nobody really knows what
> list-buffers-directory is for.

The elisp ref says:

 -- Variable: list-buffers-directory
     This buffer-local variable specifies a string to display in a
     buffer listing where the visited file name would go, for buffers
     that don't have a visited file name.  Dired buffers use this
     variable.

and that's how list-buffers, ibuffer and now bs use it. It makes sense.

> Then uniquify appeared and abused it for some slightly different purpose
[...]
> Maybe 2 variables are in order, or maybe the
> shell-mode case (which shouldn't influence uniquify) should use
> a different value than just a string, so uniquify can tell whether to
> use the value or not without having to check the major-mode.

I think uniquify should use another variable.

> Also its name should be changed because it's not just for "list-buffers"
> any more.  Maybe buffer-file-name-replacement or
> pseudo-buffer-file-name, or buffer-quasi-file-name, or ...

The way it is used (other than in uniquify), it's more of a directory
than a filename, I think. buffer-working-directory, something like
that, perhaps.

    Juanma