Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch

From: Lynbech Christian
Subject: Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:44:11 +0200

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> Maybe another way to look at all these problems is to take an "agent"
Stefan> point of view: rather than threads moving around, we could consider each
Stefan> keyboard and each buffer as an active object (i.e. with its own thread),
Stefan> which communicate among each other.  I.e. a buffer-thread never leaves
Stefan> its buffer, instead it does an RPC to another buffer-thread, or to
Stefan> a keyboard-thread, ...

This seems like a really clever idea, but I didn't see any response to
it. Has anybody thought more about this?

Everything in Emacs is centered around buffers anyway and I guess that a
lot of the RPC (at least wrt. keyboards) would look a lot like the
events comming in from X anyway.

The biggest problem I see here is that you can have a large number of
buffers. I do not know what the practical limit on the number of threads
are on modern systems, but if that is a concern one could instead tie
the threads to processes/filters/sentinels (which aren't really
interactive anyway) and windows/frames which all user interaction goes
through.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)