Re: CEDET merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:30:05 -0400

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Was this renaming of files really necessary? It breaks backwards
>>> compatibility and imposes additional work on package authors and
>>> distros.
>
>> No one suggested any other solution to the filename problem.
>
> The obvious solution is not to support CEDET on platforms with 8+3
> filenames ...

I'm no expert, but according to Eli, having files longer than 8+3 in the
tarball leads to problems unpacking the tarball on DOS, and other
problems on some versions of Windows:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-02/msg00149.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-12/msg01709.html

>> Maybe we could get around this by adding a `cedet-compat' package
>> that loads everything everything in CEDET and provides all the old
>> CEDET feature names; then loading this file will provide everything
>> a third-party package needs to compile.
>
> Not sure if loading everything at once is a good idea. CEDET is huge.
> But couldn't at least the old feature names be provided by the single
> files? (As it was done for newsticker-*, for example.)

We can do that, but how does this solve the problem?  The old `require'
calls still won't find the correct file (unless we implement feature
aliases or something like that).